- Ports: SSA Mexico, subsidiary of U.S. rail and marine terminal operator Grupo Carrix, reported plans to invest US$30 million to upgrade operations at the Pacific coast ports of Manzanillo and Lázaro Cárdenas. Resources will support acquisition of specialized equipment including two Super Post Panamax cranes and six RTG shipyard cranes. (Reforma, December 30, 2021)
- Financial services: Spain-based Banco Santander announced plans to invest US$520 million to expand Mexico operations in 2022. The company reported US$500 million in technology investments in Mexico over the past year, including its Tuiio platform targeting low-income customers. (Reforma, December 16, 2021)
- Flooring: U.S. floorcoverings manufacturer Mohawk Industries is on track to initiate operations at a new plant in the northwestern border city of Mexicali, the company reported. The US$190 million facility is projected to become the largest vinyl flooring factory in Latin America, according to the Mexicali municipal government. (La Voz de la Frontera, December 12, 2021)
- Automotive: U.S.-owned Lear Seating Structures announced investment of over US$20 million to expand operations at its plant in the northern state of Coahuila. The upgrade will allow the company to increase production of metal structures for automotive seating to supply regional auto makers. (Vanguardia.mx, December 11, 2021).
- Transport: Mexican transport service provider Transporte Empresarial del Norte (TEN) launched operations in the northern state of Coahuila via investment of approximately US$12.8 million. The expansion is intended to deliver employees to and from industrial sites in the region. (El Siglo de Torreón, December 13, 2021)
Continue reading Recent and upcoming investment in Mexico